Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Help a Kitty Out Today

I don't write about Canada's Human Rights Commissions very often, if only because most of the Canadian blogosphere does it far better than I could. But that shouldn't hide the fact that I'm against quasi-governmental race pimps and professional grievance hucksters quashing free speech as much as I can be against anything.

Under the Human Rights Act that allows for the existence of the commissions, private citizens personally unconnected with any "hate speech" can file a complaint and be awarded damages under Section 13 (1), which makes the exercise an even more twisted joke and perverts the surrounding legislation as a whole.

Several such complaints were filed by one Richard Warman, who has quite a reputation in this country. Until very recently, he didn't lose a single one and when he did it was a national story.

This is Mr. Warman's basic philosophy;
I’ve come to the conclusion that I can be most effective by using what I like to describe as a “maximum Disruption” approach … I’ll look at all the potential targets and file complaints against them starting on a “worst offender” basis, although sometimes if I just find people to be particularly annoying this may move them up the list a bit. The “maximum disruption” part comes in because wherever I think it will be most helpful, or even if I just feel it will be the most fun, I strongly believe in hitting on as many of these fronts as possible either at the same time or one after the other. I say this because it keeps them off-balance and forces them to respond to things that focus their energies on defending themselves.
Oh, and he sues bloggers. A lot.

One of those being sued by Warman is my friend Blazing Cat Fur. Arnie's been an awfully good guy to me over the last two years and if he needs a hand, I intend to give it to him. I would encourage you all to do the same.

You don't have to agree with everything he says, but BCF has done exceptional work exposing the curse of Section 13 (1) and the incredible damage it causes to both free speech and the rule of law in this country. Although the Supreme Court of Canada has recently placed some restrictions on libel and defamation suits, our laws are still far too loose and open to abuse by people with money and enemies.

It's an ugly and expensive process, and Arnie could use your help. If you've got a few bucks lying around and want to do the right thing with it, I'd ask you to consider sending it his way. For details on how, please go here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment